CLC is also entering a season of prayer and fasting...beginning last week with an awesome prayer journey. With nearly two weeks under my belt already...I'm pumped. In efforts to help us on the journey...CLC put together an awesome devotional guide specifically to walk us through this 40 days of prayer and fasting. Thought I'd share a bit here...if for no one else, for me. I want to be effective in His kingdom~
Push Away From the Table - Fasting
Don't you jut hate to fast? Be honest, wouldn't you rather feast and rejoice than push away from the table for any length of time or reason? You are not alone. The American church is more about prosperity and blessing than of self denial and sacrifice. We have thee mindset that we are the King's Kids and are therefore owed. Bless me, do this for me, do that for me. On top of that we have so many programs and so much talent that we sometimes forget the spiritual factors. We know how to do church, so we do it. But Jesus said hat some things ONLY are accomplished through prayer and fasting (Matt 17:21)
Fasting is hard. It is denying a basic need for nourishment, comfort, socialization and if we admit...we just plain enjoy eating. Food tastes good. Fasting may be hard but it is a very important part of our spiritual maturity. Fasting is not something for the spiritually elite. It should be part of every Christian's walk with God. But understand that fasting is NOT about...
- twisting God's arm to force Him to do what we want
- Starving yourself until you get what you want
- Earning some blessing I want from the Lord
- Just doing without food. It's not the "sure fire" way to lose weight or clean out the body. There are health benefits, but they are secondary!
It is saying no to self and yes to God. I don't fully understand how it all works, but I do know that fasting brings breakthrough.
Breakthrough to solve complex problems
When problems come at us from every side... many of us begin to question "Why me? Why now? Why this?' And even worse, sometimes we start to think: "something must be wrong with me. I'm not spiritual enough. I've failed in some way & that is why God has forsaken me"
Truth is that we can't run from our problems...we can't keep problems from happening in our lives. Problems are a part of life - Matt 5:45 tells us that God sends His sunlight to both the evil and the good...rain on the just & unjust. When we are saved, we are not give a "get out of jail free card" to protect us from problems. But through fasting God helps us to solve our problems by giving us...
- Eyes to see the positive...no longer be problem centered...see things in a perspective because you will see things through God with our focus on HIM...His power rather than the power of the difficulties facing us.
- Eyes to see the facts (FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL) The enemy magnifies himself to be something that he is not. He is the master of illusion. Fasting helps you to see through his lies to the truth.
Breakthrough To Revival
If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive heir sin and heal their land. 2 Chron 7:14 NKJV
Did you catch that??? Breakthrough to revival...in me and you...in the harvest ripe for reaping in those around you~ In your family...your neighborhood...your nation & those you cannot name.