Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Deep Gratitude. Great Joy.

There is a book that has been rocking my world and shaking me to the core these past few days. Perhaps not just for me, but to share with others, this fundamental truth to all that we are & want to be as Christians - as good people in general.  The following is from this recommend read: One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp.

Give thanks.

Twelve hours before His destiny on the cross, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, then gave it to the disciples. (Luke 22:19) Just before He endured the cross for the JOY set before Him, Jesus took break and gave thanks. On an earlier occasion, Jesus stood outside Lazarus' tomb, with tears streaming & prayed, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me..." (John 11:41) The miracle of raising a dead man followed offering thanks. In Luke 17:17-19, ten lepers were cleansed, but one returned to to express gratitude - the Samaritan was made well in his thankfulness.  When you search out the root of that word "well", it means saved. A Samaritan was not only healed, but it his heart of gratitude brought salvation. He was made whole. Psalm 50:23 - He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.

Could it be that the height of my job could be determined by the depths of my gratitude?
So, I think if there is a quote - let it be this truth: The height of my joy depends on the depth of my gratitude. Thank you, Ann Voskamp, for sharing your heart & bearing your heart in the journey to find that highest joy through deep gratitude.

No comments: