Friday, November 16, 2007

Missing mom...being a mom

I miss my mom today. Today is not unlike the others...just can't stop the tears today. Maybe it's the holiday season approaching...maybe it's the effortless way she prepared for and received us home at Thanksgiving. Maybe it's the thoughtful and scrumptious trays of cookies & candy she prepared for...seems like everyone we knew-teachers, pastors, the clerk at the thrift store. She was thoughtful though I didn't always appreciate it. Thoughtful~

Gracie has a special program next week for Grandparents...she's been singing a little ditty 'round the house celebrating those precious folks. Wish mom could be here and she would be here, no doubt. She loved that sort of thing. I'm thankful that God places the lonely in families. I'm thankful for those that make loving deposits in my heart and, even more, in the heart of my Grace. Thankful~

I have a prayer posted by my computer that I found somewhere, personalizing it Grace's name. I don't remember where I found it, but it's a prayer based on Ephesians 6:4 and Proverbs 22:6...I think with the Amplified twist. I look at it everyday...remind myself everyday that this is my calling now: to rear Grace with a knowledge, example and love of the Lord, herself and others. No easy task. I know that now. God help me as I try every day to be more like Him so she desires Him.

I will not provoke, irritate or fret my Gracie. I will not be hard on her or harass her or cause her to become discouraged, sullen or morose, or to feel inferior & frustrated.

I will not break or wound her spirit. I will rear her tenderly in the training, discipline, counsel & admonistion of you, Lord.

I will train her in the way she should go (and in keeping with her individual gift or bent) & when she is old, she will not depart from it.


The duties of children and parents
from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible


The great duty of children is, to obey their parents. That obedience
includes inward reverence, as well as outward acts, and in every age prosperity
has attended those distinguished for obedience to parents.

The duty of parents:
Be not impatient; use no unreasonable severities. Deal prudently and wisely with
children; convince their judgements and work upon their reason. Bring them up
well; under proper and compassionate correction; and in the knowledge of the
duty God requires.

Often is this duty neglected, even among professors of the gospel. Many
set their children against religion; but this does not excuse the children's
disobedience, though it may be awfully occasion it. God alone can change the
heart, yet he gives his blessing to the good lessons and examples of parents,
and answers their prayers. But those, whose chief anxiety is that their children
should be rich and accomplished, whatever becomes of their souls, must not look for the blessing of God. (Eph 6:5-9)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmen,

Although I still have my mom with me, I don't have my dad, and sometimes I miss him, probably in the way you miss your mom. However, I have so many good memories of times spent with him, and I try to take comfort in those. Being a parent is definitely no easy task, and to be honest, there are some days that I feel like I fall flat on my face. I pray that God will always to help me to be humble enough to apologize to them when I do fall short. May God bless you as you continue to seek His help in your parenting endeavors and........................HAPPY THANKSGIVING!